Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!!!

A while back a friend shared with me that her MIL thought I was 'too feisty'. My Grandpa calls it 'moxy' and Micha calls me Sparkie, none of which offends me. I come by it naturally. The number of women in my family out weights the number of men and each one of them are strong, opinionated and 'fierce'. From my Grandma, who raised her four children and managed the house on her own while her husband was serving his country in Vietnam to my mother who has more poise than anyone I know, each one has made me Sparkie.

When  my Grandpa died suddenly of a massive heart attack, I marveled at Grandma's ability to keep it together. She's gone on to lead an active life, made full by our close family, her friends and, of course, her faith. In February, she celebrated her 75th birthday and last month she went to Hawaii. I can't count the number of times she has come to my aid. When Mumbles and I had to start over, nearly from scratch, she was the one who helped me pull it all together and her home was our refuge.






Then there's my Aunt, who in her 30's, was diagnosed with breast cancer. After kicking cancer's ass, she went on to run a 5K with her youngest son to help support other women in their fight. She's stilling kicking ass, but instead of sneakers she has a motorcycle. I've always admired her unwavering support for her two boys, her sense of humor and ability to make family get togethers an occassion to laugh until we cry or pee ourselves. She's supported me in times when I really needed it and I don't know that I can ever show her the gratitude that she deserves for it.

Then there is my Mom. What can I say about her? She gave birth to four children, naturally, with two of us being breach and the other two were blue. She basically raised me on her own, she never bitched, expected anyone to feel sorry for her or give her a hand out. She worked hard and always kept her chin up. She's been through two divorces, gracefully and started her life over on her own terms. There are times I'm sure she struggles yet she manages to pull through with poise. I was a particularly rebellious teenager and while she never let me walk all over her, I never doubted that she loved me. She is the one person who has remained constant in my life regardless of the changes going on in either of our lives. I'll never be able to tell her enough how much I love and respect her.

Feisty? Yeah, probably but I feel pretty good about that.
Four generations of sassy, classy dames!
Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am inviting readers to offer support and advice. Comments by readers that are vulgar, irrelavant or just plain mean will not be posted. Thanks for reading.