Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Pregnant, Barefoot and in the Kitchen

This is a phrase I've uttered many a time, as in "He's one of those neanderthal idiots that thinks all women should be pregnant, barefoot and in the kitchen." Now in my second pregnancy and coming into the final stretch, I've decided to re-think this phrase. I have a lot of time to re-think things. My job is incredibly boring. In fact, all of my blog posts are written while I am at the office. I don't do it to make them think I'm busy either. I've made it abundantly clear that I need more work. They just haven't come up with any. At any rate, here I am stuck in my office with nothing to do. I'm wearing a dress and shoes with a heel that isn't too high. The sun is out and I know it's hot because I ran out for lunch today. All I can think is the numerous other places I'd rather be. The pool might be nice. Taking a nap would be blissful. Pregnant, barefoot and in the kitchen wouldn't be too shabby either.

My feet hurt and are starting to swell, ever-so-slightly. Most days the thought of having anything on my feet is irritating. Barefoot just feels so much better but isn't exactly 'business casual'. Neither are the clothes that I'd rather be wearing. I can wear whatever I want in my kitchen. No shoes, no shirt, no service doesn't apply there. Dress code, smesh code!

At work, I have a desk drawer full of snacks. I am, by nature, a grazer so I keep them there so if I need a nibble, I have something. Funny thing about being pregnant is it has to be the right something. I may not want a granola bar for breakfast but that's what's in my desk drawer so that's what I get to have. If I was in my kitchen, I could whip up some eggs and bacon or maybe pancakes or a grilled cheese sandwich and cucumber slices with a little bit of salt.

So yeah, pregnant, barefoot and in the kitchen sounds pretty good right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am inviting readers to offer support and advice. Comments by readers that are vulgar, irrelavant or just plain mean will not be posted. Thanks for reading.